I never professed to like baseball. I just don't get the same thrill as I do watching a fast break dunk or an 80 yard touchdown pass. My entire family loves the New York Yankees, and for years I fought liking them. Along the way I would say I liked the A's or the Dodgers, basically just choosing a favorite team, without really having any connection to them or knowledge about them. Then one day when I was about 13 I realized something. I could say those teams were my favorite, but in reality I knew everyone on the Yankees, and even enjoyed watching them. So I finally admitted it to myself, I am a Yankees fan. Since then I have cheered for the Yankees. I even planned a trip to New York City around their home schedule, so I could see them play at Yankee Stadium. I have been happy when they have won, and sad when they lost, but five minutes later I am over it, nothing serious like my Jazz or Cougars.Well this week something funny happened. I have this funny, sick feeling I get when my teams get in tight spots, or when the game gets close. I actually get physically ill. I have been having this problem for years, but only with the Jazz and BYU. This past Friday, as the bugs infested Jacobs Field I got that feeling again, only this time about the New York Yankees. It is only then that I realized, I really am a Yankees fan, through and through.

After the Yankees went down 0-2 to Cleveland in the ALDS and George Steinbrenner announced that Joe Torre would lose his job if the Yankees didn't win the series, I really started getting sad. I watched the series unfold and last night watched the final out as the Yankees lost to the Indians, I really wanted to cry. I didn't, but I wanted to. The hardest part about watching that final out was knowing that the Yankees will never be the same.
Joe Torre is one of the class acts in all of baseball. In his last 12 years as the Yankees manager he has led the Yankees to the playoffs each year, with 6 trips to the World Series and 4 World Series titles. This season he led the Yankees from a 21-29 start, to a late season surge in
to the playoffs, where they fell short in the ALDS for the 3rd strait year. Perhaps the Yankees haven't been in the World Series the past few years, but they have been the most consistent team in baseball over the past decade. If Joe Torre is let go, and I am quite sure he will be, the Yankees will lose an invaluable leader, and most likely many role players on the team.
to the playoffs, where they fell short in the ALDS for the 3rd strait year. Perhaps the Yankees haven't been in the World Series the past few years, but they have been the most consistent team in baseball over the past decade. If Joe Torre is let go, and I am quite sure he will be, the Yankees will lose an invaluable leader, and most likely many role players on the team.So where does that leave the Yankees? Most likely with a team of new faces next year. A bad thing? Not necessarily. During the glory days of the Yankees they were lead my names like Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams, great players, but not superstars. Now the starting lineup may as well be an all-star team and they haven't proven anything. I would like to see the long time players such as Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada back next year. And would definitely be happy to see A-Rod go. Don't even get me started about him. However, I think the outcome might be the opposite. And without the leadership of Joe Torre, I would really doubt that a team of lesser name players can accomplish what George Steinbrenner expects every year.
So there you have it, a few thoughts about my Yankees present state. It has been almost 24 hours since they lost, and I am still sad. I have grown up with the Yankees, and I have a feeling that the Yankees I have grown to love, will never be the same.




No comments:
Post a Comment